Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My Grandpa's "Nearly Home-made" donuts!

Some of you may know that my grandfather passed away in November 2012.  That man was my rock, and it was a very trying time for me after he was gone.  It really warms my heart to be able to things with my kids that he did with me! 

One thing that I always loved doing with him was making nearly home-made donuts for breakfast!  It is really a simple process, but the love that was always felt when we made them was extra special! 





Ok, so what do you need for my grandpa's donuts?  Its really easy..... canned biscuits (you know the cheap ones that turn into bricks if you bake them), oil, cinnamon and sugar mix or powdered sugar.... THATS IT!

First you need to get your oil hot... We always used a pot on the stove with a couple of inches of oil in it, but we were given a deep fryer for Christmas this year!  Guess what the first thing we made in it was?!?  Yep... Donuts! 

Next, open your biscuits, and separate them.  Then gently pull the middle and make a hole... donuts have to have holes you know!  Then put it in the hot oil... when it starts to turn golden around the edges, flip it over and let the other side cook.  Take it out and roll it in the cinnamon and sugar mixture or place on a paper towel and dust the powdered sugar over top! 

Last, you let them cool for a few minutes and then eat them up!  My crew of 6 can put away 20-30 of these little gems!  They are so yummy, and the memories they bring back are priceless! 



2 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! I love how easy they are to make. It's so sweet that you are able to do things with your kids that you enjoyed with your grandfather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make these for my kids when they were little. You can't eat just one that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments, and I enjoy reading each and every one! Thank you for joining us on our journey!